Friday, April 17, 2009

Lovedrug - Sucker Punched (Alt. LP)



Who is Lovedrug?

Lovedrug is a rock band from Cleveland, Ohio. The band consists of Micheal Shepard (vocals, piano, guitar), Jeremy Michael Gifford (guitar, synthesizer, piano), Thomas Bragg (bass), and James Childress (drums and percussion). The album they are giving away for free Sucker Punched (Alternate LP). It is a compilation of alternative takes from their newest album, The Sucker Punch Show.

They are firm believers in being able to play their music without the assistance of computers on stage. They are rock and roll purists.

What do they sound like?

The lead vocalist, Michael Shepard, has a very unique voice. I don’t believe I have ever heard anyone else who sounds quite the same. The first song I ever heard by Lovedrug was a cover of the Nirvana song, Heart Shaped Box. It was translated into a slow, piano based song, and while retaining the power and emotion of the original song, Lovedrug makes it into a completely new song.

Entertainment Weekly says about Lovedrug: "...somewhere between 70’s-style guitar-rock grandeur and pre-weird Radiohead lives this inebriated, quasi-hallucinatory tale."

Where can I see them?

Unless you live near Akron, Ohio or Upland, Indiana, you are out of luck for seeing Lovedrug play a live show in the United States. However, if you do live near Upland, Indiana, you have hit the Lovedrug jackpot, because they are playing a free show there on May 9th, 2009.

They also have a few shows scheduled in Germany and Switzerland for their European fans.



For fans of Foo Fighters, Kings Of Leon, Muse, Talk Talk, Smashing Pumpkins
Learn more here: www.myspace.com/lovedrug


4 comments:

Marisa said...

This blog is so cool! My fiance and I are always trying to find new music that nobody has heard of yet or hasn't been mainstreamed. Thanks!! We will have to check them out.

Daniel said...

I like this band. That version of Heart Shaped Box is pretty good. I'm definitely going to check out some of their original music. Nice work here.

Michelle said...

Did you say Lovedrug? Did you really just say Lovedrug?

I am basically in love with this band. My baby brother and his ex-girlfriend considered the whole album "their song" and I stole it from them prompty after they shared it with me.

I would really love to hear them live.

Cameron said...

Wow... I'm always looking for new artists. Amazingly enough, I have a fews song by Lovedrug. You should check out Bored Again Christian. It's a podcast that plays music from lesser known bands.